Having a lawn in your residential property comes with a handful of benefits. For one, it can boost your property’s curb appeal and increase your home value. But apart from the aesthetic value, it has environmental benefits like flood control, soil erosion prevention, and less air pollution. Plus, it can be good for the physical health (making one physically active) and mental health (reducing stress) of the whole household.
However, your lawn needs constant care and proper maintenance. When it comes to these, you have the option to do it yourself (DIY) or hire lawn care services. As the former can be a tedious task for a busy and preoccupied family, the latter can be a more viable option.
That said, here are different types of lawn care services you can get:
1. Lawn Installation
When it comes to sprucing up your outdoor space, installing a lawn can make a world of difference in your yard. You can start by investing in a sod supply and laying the turf yourself. However, there are a lot of steps to take, from testing your soil to preparing the ground and laying the sod itself. As such, it’s best to leave the lawn installation to the experts. Not only do they have the tools and equipment needed for outdoor landscaping, but they also have the knowledge, skills, and areas of expertise.
2. Lawn Mowing
Mowing is the most common lawn care service. The ultimate goal is to cut the grasses and maintain their ideal growth to ensure a healthy lawn. For the most part, you can invest in lawnmowers such as a reel, cordless electric, or gas-powered mower. From there, you can mow your lawn regularly. However, mowing can be the most tedious aspect of yard maintenance. Hence, it’s best to hire lawn mowing services.
3. Lawn Maintenance
But apart from lawn mowing itself, you must consider other maintenance services to ensure the health and growth of your lawn. Take note of the following:
- Soil Aeration: This process aims to break up compacted soil in your lawn. Also, it entails removing the thatch (organic layer of dead and living materials) on the ground. That way, the grass and plant roots easily and quickly water, air, and nutrients.
- Mulching: This process involves covering mulches on the ground using barks, wood chips, shredded leaves, and other organic materials. The goal is to ensure the ground moisture and improve the soil condition for a healthy lawn.
- Fertilization: This entails applying organic and non-organic fertilizers on the ground. They ensure the growth and health of the grasses in your lawn and even the plants in your garden.
4. Weed Control
It’s easy for weeds to start growing in your lawn. If left unattended, they can easily and quickly invade your yard. The problem is that they can compete with grasses and crops for absorbing nutrients. The last thing you want to happen is to have a yard filled with weeds that are unsightly in appearance. However, pulling out weeds manually from the ground can be such a daunting task. Hence, it’s best to hire lawn care services, wherein professionals also focus on weed control.
5. Pest Control
It’s easy for some pests to invade your yard. Whether rodents or critters, they can feed on the grasses in your lawn. They can even eat the shrubs, vegetation, and fruits in your garden. For this reason, it’s best to hire lawn care services as professionals have the resources to shoo away these pests. That way, you can keep your lawn completely healthy, visually attractive, and highly functional.
6. Other Lawn-related Services
In most cases, lawn care professionals not only focus on taking care of the turf. Of course, they also consider other vital elements in your lawn. These include fruit-bearing trees, shrubs with blooms, hedges, and even vegetation. Take note of the following:
- Tree services: Professionals can perform tree pruning and trimming. They can also remove dead branches and diseased parts. Professional arborists can go as far as performing complete tree removal.
- Hedge trimming: Professional landscapers can also maintain the hedgerows in your garden. They can also trim and prune your plants. Ultimately, they can ensure your lawn’s aesthetic appeal and functional value.
- Flower services: Professional gardeners can also focus on maintaining your garden, aside from lawn care itself. They can plant shrubs with blooms or grow flowers on pots as well.
At this point, you now know how to proceed with your lawn care. Consider the different services recommended above, from lawn installation to controlling weeds down to other-lawn-related services. However, look at your yard and see what specific type of services you should get.
Sure, you may take the DIY route for your lawn installation and maintenance. However, hiring and working with expert professionals can make a world of difference. Ultimately, proper lawn care can kick your residential property and outdoor space up a notch.